Travel season is upon us. Don’t let it throw your goals off track. We often use these trips as an excuse to abandon our health goals, but do you ever find yourself 2-3 weeks later still off track? Don’t let this happen to you by following my simple tips below to help you stay on track this travel season.
1. Drink a lot. Bring a long an empty water bottle so that you can always re-fill it. It’s easy to forget to drink when you’re off schedule and not in your normal routines. But it is so important to remember to drink, especially when traveling by plane. When relative humidity levels in cabins drop, your body uses more water to carry out essential functions and if you’re not replenishing it, it can lead to dehydration. It will be annoying with going to the bathroom 😉 , but I promise it is the better alternative to being swollen and uncomfortable.
2. Pack snacks/food for the trip. Failing to plan is planning to fail. Be prepared. Bring along your own healthy snacks and food options so you don’t have to rely on “whatever is available”, which sometimes can be not the greatest, when it comes to our health. Check out my favorite snacks for travel to get some quick and easy ideas that you can bring along on your next road trip, air travel or even on your next Sunday adventure.
3. Always eat breakfast!! Enough said 🙂 With late starts and more relaxed schedules it’s easy to think that skipping breakfast will help you “save up calories” for later. It might seem like a good idea, but it never works. Your body needs you to eat when you wake up to let it know that you are up and that your metabolism should kick back into gear, after rejuvenating itself while you’re sleeping. Your body needs fuel to give it energy to do the things you love to do. Not eating means you aren’t giving yourself the proper fuel and energy which often leads to sugar cravings as your body will naturally seek out energy and sugar is the quickest form of energy, If you skip breakfast, you will end up being hungrier than normal by the time you do actually eat, which often leads to overeating. Avoid all that and eat a good, solid breakfast to give you the proper nutrition and energy to enjoy your day.
4. Pick your daily “splurge”. Knowing that you can have a daily splurge, gives you that meal that you know you will look forward to and will prevent you from feeling restricted – which will lead to eating everything ;). Enjoy but you don’t have to be totally thrown off. So for example have a super healthy breakfast and know that your dinner will be your splurge meal. It is vacation after all – so go ahead and enjoy it!!
5. Have a vegetable at every meal. Make sure you get in those health benefits of lots of fiber and low calorie veggies. Making sure you eat a vegetable at every meal will help ensure that you stay on track with your goals.
6. Exercise is really movement. It’s ok if you don’t have time to get in your regular workout. But, take those opportunities to walk/move more. Take a walk and explore your new surroundings. Use the steps instead of taking the elevator. Find ways to move more.
What tips and tricks do you use to stay on track when you travel?! Share them with us on the Busy and Healthy Moms FB page!
To your health, xxx